The radius and other fundamental parameters of the F9 V star beta Virginis

Date
Authors
North, J. R.
Davis, J.
Robertson, J. G.
Bedding, T. R.
Bruntt, H.
Ireland, M. J.
Jacob, A. P.
Lacour, S.
O'Byrne, J. W.
Owens, S. M.
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Abstract
Description
We have used the Sydney University Stellar Interferometer (SUSI) to measure the angular diameter of the F9 V star beta Virginis. After correcting for limb darkening and combining with the revised Hipparcos parallax, we derive a radius of 1.703 +/- 0.022 R_sun (1.3%). We have also calculated the bolometric flux from published measurements which, combined with the angular diameter, implies an effective temperature of 6059 +/- 49 K (0.8%). We also derived the luminosity of beta Vir to be L = 3.51 +/- 0.08 L_sun (2.1%). Solar-like oscillations were measured in this star by Carrier et al. (2005) and using their value for the large frequency separation yields the mean stellar density with an uncertainty of about 2%. Our constraints on the fundamental parameters of beta Vir will be important to test theoretical models of this star and its oscillations.
Comment: accepted for publication in MNRAS. Updated references
Keywords
Astrophysics
Citation
Collections