Gender fair use of language linguistic policy and the scientific journals of the University of Costa Rica (UCR) Política lingüística de uso del lenguaje inclusivo de género y las revistas científicas de la Universidad de Costa Rica (UCR)

No Thumbnail Available
Date
Authors
Martínez Rocha, Eida
Rivera Alfaro, Silvia
Journal Title
Journal ISSN
Volume Title
Publisher
Universidad de Costa Rica
Abstract
Description
The aim of this paper is to present a mapping on the implementation of the language gender fair use of language in the academic journals of the University of Costa Rica that are part of Portal de Revistas (official website of the journals). The analyzed information is based on a documental review of the websites of each title in the research website, the answers to an online questionnaire with a cluster sampling that results representative for the total number of journals, and the observations and comments of the people in charge of the editorial processes. One of the main findings is that 66% of the editorial committee of the journals has not discussed the university policy of gender fair use of language (stablished in 2003) and the other 34%, that has discussed this subject, presents different levels of proximity to the execution of this language policy. In the discussion, we take into consideration the characteristics of the journals, the editorial process, and the context to purpose improves in the implementation of this university policy.
Este artículo presenta un mapeo sobre la implementación de la política lingüística de uso de lenguaje inclusivo de género en las revistas científicas de la Universidad de Costa Rica que se encuentran en el Portal de Revistas. La información analizada se basó en una revisión documental de los sitios web de las publicaciones del Portal de Revistas de la universidad, las respuestas a un cuestionario en línea con una muestra por conglomerado que resulta representativa dentro de los títulos y, por último, en observaciones y comentarios de personas encargadas de procesos editoriales. Uno de los principales hallazgos refiere a que un 66 % de revistas no ha discutido en sus comités editoriales la política de lenguaje inclusivo de género de la Universidad, que data del año 2003, y el restante 34 % que sí lo ha hecho, se encuentra en distintos niveles de proximidad respecto a la implementación de dicha política lingüística. En la discusión se toman en cuenta distintas características de las revistas, el proceso editorial y el contexto para proponer mejoras en la implementación de esta política universitaria.
Keywords
gender fair language, gender neutral language, non-sexist language, academic journals, language policy, lenguaje inclusivo de género, lenguaje no sexista, revistas académicas, política lingüística
Citation